Sunday, October 28, 2007

Get in, lock the door, and stay home for a while

Have you ever had one of those days that just continue to get worse as the day goes on??

Yesterday was that day for me and Chris. Thank goodness the kids were with his mom. Let me try to recall the day I would rather forget.

3:00am - At least I thought it was 3am. The house phone rings. Are you kidding?? Who the hell is calling us at these hours. I barely opened my eyes and figured if they really need to talk to us, they can call my cell phone which is sitting next to me.

4:30am - The house phone rings again. And again, I ignore it. Chris is sound asleep, he heard the phone but didn't bother to open his eyes. The baby twitched a little but it didn't wake her up.

8:00am - We finally get up and get going for the day by this time. I took a look at the caller ID and it says City of Santa Clara. Hmm... my first thought was that my office's alarm was going off last night and they tried to call everyone on the list until someone answers. One of the stray cats in the yard probably tripped the alarm.

8:30am - Chris goes off to rehersal at Independence and I was going to do a little laundry, jump in the shower and we'd go drop the kids off with his mom around lunch time in Pleasanton.

I put my 6 quarters in the washer and they are stuck. No laundry for us today.

9:30am - I'm talking to LLMM on the phone and the other line beeps. I looked at the ID and it said Bad Boys Bail Bonds.

.... ok WTF

I jumped off the phone with LLMM and jumped on the other line. A family member had been arrested and now needed to be bailed out. I called Chris, he's freaking out. No one else is answering their phones today apparently. Chris left rehearsal early to go take care of the situation and he eventually came home with no answers.

Side note: Did I mention it's our 2nd wedding anniversary weekend and we're pawning the kids to Chris' mom and going to enjoy a ridiculously expensive but worth every penny dinner at Benihana's tonight?

Several phone calls later things are still in shambles and we leave for Concord as planned for today. We get to Pleasanton where we meet Chris' mom half way (she lives in Manteca now and we're on our way to Concord). She pulls up as Chris and I are composing what to tell her about this particular family member who's still sitting in custody IF she doesn't already know.

..... and she had no idea. We made some phone calls to people Chris and I didn't have numbers to and finds out that things are now semi-ok and the family member is now free. This person has a lot of explaining to do. Especially to Chris' mom.

She takes the kids regardless of how she's feeling. She didn't have to but she wanted to. The need for pleasant distraction of having a 7 year old and a 16 month old in your care for a day.

Our phones stopped ringing and we're on our way to concord.

3:00pm - We get to DVC and the kids aren't there yet. Apparently there was some issue with the bus and one had to turn around to go back to the school. Chris gets out to go meet the other staff members and I take off to get some snacks and find one particular item that 4 stores in a 1 mile radius didn't have. But oh yeah... 7-11 directly across the street from DVC had it. DUH!

5:30pm - The Indy kids perform their show spectucularly as they should. Too bad it's not under lights. They get great reception from the audience regardless.

Immediately after they performed, Chris and I were leaving to go have our ridiculously delicious yet expensive anniversary dinner at Benihana. As we pulled out of the driveway of DVC parking lot, Chris noticed we came out the 'in' way. It was too late to back out since it would have been up hill and no one was coming or going anyway. We got about 30 feet from the entrance Chris uttered "ah shit". Sirens and lights behind us.

Is that for us?

Yes.

Damn.

We pulled over. I'm reading the program from the band show and had to think for a second if we had anything in the car that we should be worried about. Nope we don't.

Chris had all the documentation for the police officer. The only thing he did wrong was coming out of the 'In' way. Oh yeah... and his license is expired.

And for that... the nice police officer asked us to step out of the car and proceeded to search inside and patted him down. He didn't search me but he did ask me if I 'had' anything on me. What does that mean? Illegal substance? Packing a gun, knife, nail file? No I don't have anything. If I did, I wouldn't admit it since you're not going to search me.

Thank GOD we didn't have anything.

By the end of this stupid ordeal... the car gets towed to an impound yard and Chris will have to come back with a good license to get his car out. To concord.

7:00pm - We go back into the band show inside DVC on foot... found our friends... told them what happened and established who's taking us home. That was the easy part. But dammit we're hungry!

We stayed at the show watching a few bands with our friends eating snacks the kids were selling which made us even more hungry for food with substance.

9:00pm - We finally leave the show site with our good friend Harry and Kelly in her car not too far behind us. We made a unanimous decision to eat at Denny's. Benihana vs. Denny's. Well at least we avoided spending an arm and a leg and our first born. We leave the restaurant shortly after we finished our comparable fried food but cheap dinner.

10:30pm - We're still on the road just over the Sunol Grade on 680 and I'm in and out of sleep in the back seat. Suddenly I'm awaken with Harry and Chris discussing the fact that he's stepping on the gas and there's no response.

OMG.... wouldn't you know it. We are OUT OF GAS.

I called Kelly since she's about 5 minutes behind us and she had to pull over to laugh. She stopped to help us get some gas and we were on our way.

We finally get home around 11:00pm.

Get in, lock the door, don't come back out until it's safe to do so.

No comments: