Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The value of service

This week Chris and I are on a mission to find a daycare provider for our daughter. I will have to return to work the second week of September. I figured we should start looking now so that we don't rush and settle with someone just because we found her first. (I say her because daycare providers are usually women).

I looked online for the 4C's. Nothing came up. I have always used them to find in home care providers in the area. Anyone who's registered with the county is listed on the 4C's listing. They must have current child care license, cpr trained, know the rules and speak english. Anyway... their website isn't there so I will look it up and call them another day. I have always had good luck finding someone through them for Reese in the past.

So while I was messing around online, I thought I'd check out the daycare 'center' type places and see what they provide and costs. Every place is different. My mom works for the military daycare center in Alameda. They are 'income-based'. You pay them what you can afford and they know how much you make because you must be in the military to have your kids there. I think that's a brilliant idea. But to us civilians, things aren't that easy.

I checked out 2 places today that are 'daycare center'(s).

They are very official about everything. Which they should be. But why does it have to cost an arm and a leg? And your first born???

I mean, seriously, it's ridiculous! I might as well not go back to work. Chris and I calculated out the budget and stretch every penny out and we STILL can not afford to have Bailey go to one of these centers. And both our salaries combined total up to over $100k. No lie. We'd eat rice and beans and not have spending money... ever!

One place cost $1325/mo. The other was $1430.

All I gotta say is.... WTF man?

No comments: