Friday, July 14, 2006

Bailey is here!

Our Bailey is here!!

Wow! It's been a while since I've written anything in here. Well, it seems like we have begun a new life now that the little one has arrived.

Let's see... Where do I even begin??

Let's go back to the weeks approaching the delivery.

I thought I'd be pregnant forever! Bailey was 3 days overdue by the time I felt any significant pain. I stopped working on June 2 ( my last day was June 2) and stayed home thinking that she will come early like her brother did. I ended up sitting at home feeling really big and not able to do much. Reese was out of school for the summer and I couldn't really take him anywhere or do much with him.

On her due date of June 16, Reese and I went to a park to just play and hang out. I thought my water had broken because I felt some extra wetness 'down there'. I waited til the afternoon to go to the hospital thinking it's not really a big deal. The nurse told me that my water hasn't broken yet and it was in fact my bladder leaking because Bailey was pushing down with her head.

They called my doctor to come check me out. He determined that I needed some gentle encouragement. He stripped my cervix to help the contractions come a little quicker. That was Friday afternoon. I went through the entire weekend with small contractions about 1o-15 minutes apart. Nothing too significant.

Monday morning 3am I couldn't sleep too comfortably anymore. The pain was getting more intense by the minute. I moved into the baby's room where the recliner is with some blankets and a clock to time the contractions. The pain got unbarable by 6am. I woke up Chris and Reese and we headed out to the hospital. I swear I was going to explode in the car!

We get to the hospital and had to go through the emergency entrance because it's after hours. The clerk checking me in put me in a wheelchair and began asking all the general questions. Chris and Reese had to wait in another area since there wasn't enough room for them to sit with me. I'm keeled over in pain every few minutes and the dude asks me "Are you here with abdominal pain?"..... urrr.... "I'm in fucking labor!" I do believe those words came out of my mouth.

7:30-ish we finally get up stairs to Labor and Delivery. Kelly is already there waiting for Reese. (she didnt have to check in like I did) I get settled in with the nurse's help. My one absolutely WONDERFUL nurse who was there with us the ENTIRE time. The stupid monitor thingy wasn't detecting my contractions at all. I kept watching it when I'd get one... nope... nothing on there. I told the nurse that I'm having them every 3-4 minutes but it's not registering, she said she can see that I'm in labor and not to worry about the machine. She checks me, I'm at 4cm now.... she gives me pain meds. Woooo eeeeeeeee..... I'm high as a kite! The pains are still there but they are now more managable.

Note to self: This would have been a good time to ask for the Epideral.

The doctor has been called, he's on his way now. It's about 8:15. The nurse checked me again... I'm at 6cm. Holy crap that was fast. I'm now fully effaced, the baby's head is right there. She gives me more pain meds.The doctor got there around 9:15am. We chatted it up a little and then he checks me out. I'm at 9cm and baby's pushing her way out now. NOW I asked for the Epideral. The doc said "Um, no, it's too late for that, the baby is going to come out now, you need to start pushing"WHAT???? NO!!! Chris said that the expression on my face was priceless when he said I couldn't have the Epideral. After about 5 series of pushing... screaming... clawing... sweating... shaking... Bailey arrived at 9:48am.

I thought I was going to die. I thought she would never come out. I pushed and pushed with all my might. One push before the last she came out side ways and got sucked back in because I couldn't bare down anymore. When she finally came out, the doc had to stop when her head was fully out and turn her around so he can suction her mouth out. She cried. Then I pushed the rest of her out.Then the pain was gone. Just like that. No tearing, no epesiodemy, no complications. They put her up to me to start nursing right away. She's still got all the birth gunk on her (they cleaned her up just enough).

She's still gray in color, but she got that latch-on to the boob thing down from the minute she was born! They are still working on cleaning me and prepping me for recovery at this point. They came and took her to get her bath and weight, length, accessments and to give her shots. Now I go to a recovery room. Family and friends came to visit while Bailey was still in the nursery. They all make their trek to the nursery to see her while I'm laying in the bed still. There was a big gap of time between when they took her and when they brought her back. EVERYONE else got to see her!! Chris kept going back to the nursery to see her and give me updates on what they are doing with her. He's the only one who has access inside the nursery so he got some pictures of her getting her first bath, etc. I had no pain after her birth. My muscles are extremely sore and I'm swollen from the water weight. My belly still looks like I'm about 4 months prego. It's all good. I'll join a gym. I took one motrin every 8-10 hours for the soreness and now I don't feel anymore.

Tuesday my doctor came in to do a check up and he discharged me right away. The baby's doctor came in to check on her and she discharges her also. We've all been home since Tuesday and all our attention has been on the girl. Reese hasn't been forgotten, he's been a huge help. We got him a little pool for the backyard since it's been 100 degrees out. I feel kinda bad because he likes going to the park/playground and now we can't go anywhere for a while. We're going to get him involved in local activities though.

Chris has been taking pictuers non-stop! He's so proud. Bailey looks like both of us (I know newborns look like aliens). She's got Chris's long torso and short bowed legs and his nose.... my feet and hands and cheekbones. She's got lots of hair... everywhere! Shoulder hair and back hair too.

No comments: